Manager – Commercial Motor, Broker Distribution
- Role: Manager – Commercial Motor, Broker Distribution
- Location: Sydney. Other locations may be possible by negotiation
- Term: Full-time
QBE is one of the top 20 global general insurers and is recognised as Australia’s largest international insurance and reinsurance company, with operations in 37 countries around the world.
The opportunity has become available to join QBE as Manager – Commercial Motor within the Broker Distribution National Underwriting Team, with responsibility for the effective and efficient delivery of product profitability and growth across Broker Distribution. The role encompasses product planning and innovation, technical product expertise, portfolio management and monitoring, and the coaching and development of regional underwriting staff.
Your responsibilities within Broker Distribution will include:
Strategy and planning
- Develop, deliver and drive effective and profitable product strategies and review and monitor progress
- Develop new product ideas and initiatives together with the regional businesses to meet market needs and respond to economic, political, legislative or compliance changes
- Support the development and delivery of the annual business plan, budgets and initiatives
- Ongoing portfolio review and monitoring in line with strategies
- Monitor and review technical underwriting matters including underwriting guidelines, wordings, standards and procedures
- Oversee complex risk underwriting on a referral basis
- Technical underwriting audits
- Act as a technical expert to support the identification of issues and opportunities
- Oversee portfolio results and individual product performance, identifying trends and opportunities, and taking corrective action as necessary
- Oversee adequacy of pricing, underwriting standards and appropriate risk acceptance
Leadership and Coaching
- Lead, coach and mentor underwriting staff, providing technical expertise and guidance
- Share and develop strategy, knowledge and best practice with underwriting staff
- Support effective communication of commercial motor related issues across broker distribution
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with customers, brokers and QBE colleagues to effectively promote the product and expertise to brokers
- Deliver timely decisions and problem solving solutions for customers and intermediaries
To be successful in this role you will possess:
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant senior underwriting experience
- Advanced knowledge of and exposure to commercial motor insurance and the market, portfolio management, product strategy and complex underwriting
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with the ability to communicate, negotiate and influence at all levels
- Experience in a national underwriting/portfolio management role
- Relevant tertiary or industry qualifications
You will be provided with a competitive salary package and benefits, in an environment that offers support, and encourages career development and learning.
QBE recognises and supports a range of flexible work arrangements to promote a better family/life/work balance.
Applicants will be required to provide evidence of their eligibility to work in Australia, and at a minimum be required to undertake police and basic credit checks as a condition of employment.
If you are a QBE employee, please inform your manager before applying.